- 1870 Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea published.
- 1870 15th Amendment gives blacks right to vote.
- 1870 John D. Rockefeller founds Standard Oil Company, in Cleveland, OH.
- 1870 Robert E. Lee dies, October 12.
- 1871 Dr. B. F. Goodrich opens rubber factory in Akron, OH.
- 1871 Chicago fire of October 8-11 blamed on Mrs. O'Leary's cow.
- 1872 Susan B. Anthony leads protest for women at polling place.
- 1872 Yellowstone National Park created; first national park.
- 1873 Ulysses S. Grant takes oath on March 4 for second term of Presidency.
- 1873 Bellevue Hospital in NYC starts first school of nursing.
- 1875 Gold discovered in the Sioux holy grounds; Black Hills of South Dakota.
- 1875 First running of Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, May 17.
- 1876 Colorado admitted as 38th state on Aug 1.
- 1876 Custer makes his way into history at Little Big Horn in Montana.
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell becomes 2nd man to invent telephone.
The 1st, Elisha Gray, arrived at patent office 1 hour after Bell.
- 1877 Rutherford B. Hayes takes oath on March 4 as 19th President.
- 1877 Thomas Alva Edison, invents phonograph.
- 1877 Crazy Horse dies in Nebraska prison from stab wounds.
- 1877 First commercial telephone exchange is in Boston.
- 1878 First electric street lighting anywhere is on Cleveland Public Square.
- 1878 Thomas Alva Edison, invents the electric light.
- 1879 John D. Rockefeller organizes the Standard Oil Trust.