- 1811 William Henry Harrison suffers 190 casualties, Nov 7, but repels Indians at Tippecanoe river, near West Lafayette, Indiana.
Battle earned him nickname "Old Tippecanoe."
- 1812 Louisiana admitted as 18th state on Apr 30.
- 1812 War (of 1812) declared on England June 18, days after England repealed the law which caused the beef.
- 1812 Russians build Fort Rossiia (Ross) 90 miles north of San Francisco.
- 1813 James Madison takes oath on March 4 for second term of Presidency.
- 1813 Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry engages British on Lake Erie; Sep 10.
- 1813 Chief Tecumseh defeated and killed in battle near Detroit; Thames, Ontario.
- 1814 City of Washington captured and burned by British, August 24. Dolley Madison saves Stuart's portrait of Washington from White House fire.
- 1814 Francis Scott Key observes flag over Ft. McHenry at Baltimore, Sep 14, and pens a poem.
- 1814 Treaty of Ghent ends War of 1812 on Dec 24, but fighting goes on.
- 1815 Andrew Jackson defeats British at New Orleans Jan 8; after war ends.
- 1815 USS Constitution defeats two British ships off African coast; 20 Feb.
- 1815 Napoleon meets his "Waterloo" on June 18.
- 1816 American Colonization Society founded by bigots to return free blacks to Africa.
- 1816 Indiana admitted as 19th state on Dec 11.
- 1817 James Monroe takes oath on March 4 as 5th President.
- 1817 Mississippi admitted as 20th state on Dec 10.
- 1818 Congress fixes stripes in flag at 13 to honor original colonies, Apr 4.
- 1818 Anglo-American Convention fixes 49th parallel as border with Canada.
- 1818 Illinois admitted as 21st state on Dec 3.
- 1819 SS Savannah makes trans-Atlantic crossing under steam; a first.
- 1819 Florida ceded by Spain to the U.S., Feb 22: Not formalized until 1821.
- 1819 Treaty of Saginaw; Indians give up one-sixth of Michigan.
- 1819 Alabama admitted as 22nd state on Dec 14.
- 1820 Maine admitted as 23rd state on Mar 15.
- 1820 Missouri Compromise forbids slavery above 36º : 30' latitude.
- 1820 Federalist Party dissolves; with no opposition, Jefferson Democrats disband.